I thought I could kick formatting’s ass on the manuscript for my E-Book, “Live and Let Die.” As great as it would be to just upload your manuscript and have it translate beautifully across various e-readers, it’s a little trickier than that – there’s margins, paragraphs, spacing, etc., to contend with. I knew trying to copyedit myself was silly and forget designing a cover – about the best I would have been able to do was some crayons on a page. However, after doing some research, I decided to take on the formatting myself. It looked like something I could master so I went for it.
It was a good idea in theory. Not so much in reality.
After numerous tries threaded with a series of mini breakdowns, I had to face the sad fact that formatting would get one up on me. I couldn’t get the fonts or spacing to behave and the end result looked like a bad cut and paste job. Rather than put out an inferior product, I pulled “Live and Let Die” and sent the manuscript to a professional formatter. I’ve been given a timeframe of mid-December (possibly sooner) for completion, so while I’m disappointed that I will have to push back the release of my book for another month, it was the right call. I only have one shot to get this right and putting out something I know looks like crap would surely come back to bite me.
Not worth it.
So, the waiting game continues, but as always, I will continue writing.