Ahh, break-ups. I’ve known a few. None on Valentine’s Day, but to commiserate with those who HAVE had the boom lowered on them on this supposedly most romantic of holidays (or any other day for that matter), grab some Ben and Jerry’s, pull up a chair and turn up your speakers to revel in My Top 10 Ultimate Break-Up Songs:
1. Forget You by CeeLo GreenTurn this one up and sing it over and over and over until you really HAVE forgotten about that lying, cheating SOB.
2. It Ain’t Over til It’s Over by Lenny KravitzFor the angsty break-up. You know the one where you break up only to make up two days later, then lather, rinse, repeat for seemingly all of eternity? Yeah, that one.
3. I Can’t Make You Love Me by Bonnie RaittI’ll admit it…I used this one to console me through a nasty break-up back in the day. Bonnie gave me carte blanche to wallow in as much self-pity as I wanted (as a bonus, I lost seven pounds). FUN FACT: This was the original title of “Live and Let Die,” but nobody liked it, so I changed it.
4. You Oughta Know by Alanis MorrisetteFor scorned women everywhere, this is our anthem. Well, it was mine anyway.
5. Since U Been Gone Kelly ClarksonA break-up song that celebrates liberation from that succubus who dragged you through the pits of hell.
6. Tracks of My Tears by Smokey Robinson & the MiraclesMotown is known for its soul-thumping dance tunes, but when it put out ballads…it put out ballads. Yes, I cry a little every time I hear this. Just a little.
7. Cry Me A River by Justin TimberlakeOk, I mostly included this one because the video is just bad-ass.
8. Against All Odds by Phil CollinsThis break-up song has it all; laughter tears, longing and the final realization that they’re just not coming back.
9. I Try by Macy GrayYeah, I’ve been through this one, too—when you try to walk away and you just can’t do it.
10. I Heard it Through the Grapevine by Marvin GayeThis is like the song equivalent of my all-time favorite “Sex and the City” episode, “The Post-it Always Sticks Twice.” Everyone else but you knows you’ve been dumped.
*11. I want You Back by the Jackson 5I couldn’t resist. Beneath the bubble gum-beat lies a sweetly yearning song about second chances. It’s just a little heartbreaking. Just a little.
Make sure to enter the Tales from the Dark Side...of Love giveaway below! There's nothing like free stuff to take the sting out of love gone wrong. Well and maybe some ice cream.
a Rafflecopter giveaway