Tales From the Dark Side…of Love

Ahh, February.  February is Heart Month and home to Valentine’s Day, which conjures up images of hearts and flowers, candy and Cupid.  Because I write suspense novels about the dark side of love, I like to poke beneath the surface of all the sweetness and light to see what’s festering underneath.  Obsession, lust and jealousy sometimes come calling under the guise of love.  The dark side of love can destroy marriages, friendships and individuals.  Once it devours you, you’re never the same.

Throughout the month of February, I’ll be sharing a few of my own “Tales from the Dark Side of Love.”  Well, mostly the funny ones – I have to save the really deep stuff as inspiration for my books ;-)!  Besides opening the vault on some of my own “romantic” horror stories, I’ll be posting some of the best books, movies and music that explore the dark side of love.

To kick things off, here are my top five Creepiest Love Songs.  Enjoy!

1. Every Breath You Take – The Police
Can you believe people make this their wedding song?  Good luck with that!


 
2. Father Figure – George Michael
While the video for this song is probably creepier, when you listen to the lyrics, there are some serious daddy issues running all up and through this one.


3. Don’t You Want Me? – Human League
Gosh.  Where to start with this one.  The man plucks a cocktail waitress from obscurity and molds her into someone new.  When she tries to leave him, he wants her to change her mind or “we will both be sorry.”  Yikes. 


 

4. The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get – Morrissey
Nobody does obsession quite like Morrissey.  He’s going to wear down the object of his affection until it kills them both.  Somebody sign the restraining order already.


 

5. Invisible – Clay Aiken
Prime example of what happens when you wrap disturbing lyrics inside a catchy beat.  Everyone misses the stalker element and it becomes a Top 40 hit (see “Every Breath You Take” above).

Comments